ISO 45001: Health & Safety Management Systems
ISO 45001:2018 specifies requirements for an occupational health and safety (OH&S) management system, and gives guidance for its use, to enable organizations to provide safe and healthy workplaces by preventing work-related injury and ill health, as well as by proactively improving its OH&S performance.
ISO 45001:2018 is applicable to any organization that wishes to establish, implement and maintain an OH&S management system to improve occupational health and safety, eliminate hazards and minimize OH&S risks (including system deficiencies), take advantage of OH&S opportunities, and address OH&S management system nonconformities associated with its activities.
Advantages of implementing ISO 45001 in your organization:
- Increase revenue: demonstrates your commitment to quality and helps win tenders
- Increase revenue and reduce costs by winning more tenders and repeat customers
- The company is in an elite category of business and internationally recognised. ISO 45001 puts your organisation on a level of excellence shared by organisations worldwide.
- Satisfies demands of current or prospective customers for registration. A superior pool of clients that accept competent and prospective businesses.
- Increased acceptance by regulators, the public, and interested parties. Accepted as being proactive about Health and Safety and continual improvement.
- Improves business performance. A well designed, well implemented ISO 45001 health/safety management system reduces workplace illness and injury and increases productivity.
- Creates consistency throughout the organisation built around “best practices”.
- Provides a platform for attracting lower insurance premiums and proves due diligence to the marketplace.
- Allows better identification of hazards and risk.
- Ensures compliance with all current legislation worldwide.
- Improves the efficiency of internal operations, reduces accidents, dangers, and downtime.
- Improves the safety of all persons affected by the company’s activities.
- Improves management oversight. Incorporates the monitoring and measurement of key performance indicators in health/safety. This gives management objective data upon which to base decisions.
- Internal auditing is an “early warning system” to help you spot health/safety threats – giving you the chance to address and resolve them before they are detected by others, rather than after.
- Facilitates continual improvement. Employee morale, insurance costs, liability, etc. not to mention simple human concern for the welfare of others — nothing in a business is more important than improving health/safety performance.
- Transforms your operation from detection mode to prevention mode.
- The benefits of Implementing ISO are endless and when implemented correctly it provides the company with an effective tool that will show a return on investment. With continued increases in insurance premiums, increased injury claims and spiralling health care costs the question companies need to ask themselves is can they afford not to implement ISO 45001.
Contact us now if you are looking at ISO consultants Malaysia, ISO consultants Selangor, ISO consultants Kuala Lumpur, ISO consultants Johor, ISO consultants Melaka, ISO consultants Sabah, ISO consultants Penang, ISO consultants Negeri Sembilan or iso consultants Labuan.
With ISO 45001:2018, an organization is competent as below:
1. Positions your business as industry leaders
By implementing the most up-to-date occupational health and safety standard, your organisation will be seen as an elite category of business, and be internationally recognized. It is a level of excellence that is acknowledged worldwide and will help to set you apart from your competitors.
2. Increases trust
By demonstrating that you are actively facilitating continuous improvement of your employees’ morale, safety and performance, it will enable people to trust you and hold you socially accountable for your staff’s well-being. Being transparent and promoting your corporate social responsibility efforts can have a huge impact on how the public, your future employees and prospective clients perceive your business.
3. Consistency means efficiency
ISO 45001 creates an organisation built around best practice. This is then mirrored across the company and sets a standard for managing risks. Having a strong, consistent standard means that the organisation is more efficient across the board.
4. Lowers insurance premiums
By simply implementing ISO 45001, it provides a platform to attract lower insurance premiums as it proves the organisation is performing strong due diligence in managing and protecting their employees.
5. Improves individual safety as well as organisational
ISO 45001 has been widely anticipated by the global business community because it addresses the personal health and safety risks to the individual of any process or use of machinery within an organisation. This relates both to their mental health and physical safety within your workplace.
6. Improves managerial oversight
This particular ISO ensures responsibility and ownership lies with safety management personnel or top level management. By having the involvement of top leadership and a clearly communicated process for identifying hazards, the occupational health and safety of employees is continually improved over time.
7. Preventative risk and hazard assessment
Implementing ISO 45001 helps your organisation prevent risks as opposed to reacting to them once they are detected by others. The internal auditing system provides an ‘early warning system’ to help you spot potential threats to health and safety.
8. Increases return on investment (ROI)
There are various ways that ISO 45001 will provide ROI for your organisation. By implementing ISO 45001, the efficiency of your staff improves, whilst workplace injury reduces. This means your productivity levels can be improved significantly across the board. This improvement in productivity and general employee safety can have a positive impact on the insurance premiums for your organisation. A by-product of this is that work-related insurance claims decrease and further improve the cost of insurance for the business.
9. Occupational focus
The focus is primarily on the employees physical and mental well-being at work as opposed to the quality management of the workplace systems and tools that are used. This is an important factor to recognise when looking to implement ISO 45001 into your organisation, as it improves staff morale, which has a significant impact on staff turnover and retention rates.
10. Deals with risk and opportunities
Fundamentally, it deals with both the risk and opportunities whereas OHSAS 18001 and previous standards primarily deal with the risks presented by an organisation.
There are a myriad of benefits for implementing ISO 45001 into your business processes. Ultimately, it is a fantastic management system that aims to reduce health and safety risks within the workplace that puts the protection of employees’ health at the forefront of all processes and planning.
Please Feel Free To Contact Us.